Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Agnoy and the Ecstasy


The Lover and the Sculptor

The best of artists hath no thought to show
which the rough stone in its superfluous shell
doth not include; to break the marble spell
is all the hand that serves the brain can do

The Artist and His Work


How can that be, lady, which all men learn
by long experience? Shapes that seem alive,
wrought in hard mountain marble, will survive

their maker, whom the years to dust return!


Beauty and the Artist


Beauteous art, brought with us from heaven,
will conquer nature; so divine a power
belongs to him who strives with every nerve.

If I was made for art, from childhood given
a prey for burning beauty to devour,
I blame the mistress I was born to serve.

-Michelangelo Buonarroti

For those fans of art, history and Michelangelo, may I suggest the novel,
The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone?! I read it some time ago and am now rereading it. I'm sure I will be adding to this entry as I read the book!



Photobucket

The Pietà


Photobucket

Part of the Sistine Chapel

Photobucket

Part of the Tomb of the Medicis

Photobucket

The David

Photobucket

Drawing of Leda and the Swan

Images found at google.com


No comments:

Post a Comment