Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Fan of the Undead

Painting by Edvard Munch

I have always been a fan of vampire stories. I remember my first vampire read was The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause, which is a young adult novel. I was hooked and searched for more. I was then led to The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice and enjoyed Rice’s more dark and gothic themes. (After several years of searching, I finally have the complete series!) Please, if you are interested don’t see the movies, read the books, they don’t even compare!


Those of you who like more of the classical style, I suggest Dracula by Bram Stoker and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Even if you don’t like classics but you are a vamp fan, you must read Dracula, the catalyst of all books of the undead! There is also a movie by Francis Ford Coppola which is a very good interpretation of the novel.


The Historian is a modern book but the writing is classical in style.

Kostova concentrates on the historical figure of Vlad Ţepeş, the basis of Stoker’s Dracula, and the locations of the infamous Impaler. This beautifully woven tale of history, geography, and suspense makes a great read not only to vampire fans but also those interested in history.

There is also a good documentary on The History Channel about Vlad Ţepeş and vampires.


I have recently read the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris. I’m on book eight and hooked! These are a more simple read but very intriguing. I have also enjoyed Harris’s inclusion of other mythical creatures. The books are pretty short so those who are weary of the 500-700 page novels check these out!


Yes, I’m going to mention Twilight. I know there are many opinions about this series and certain comments made by a horror fiction writer, but Stephenie Meyer never claimed these books should be in the literary canon! Young adults are reading these books and that’s all I care about…they are reading! I even have a friend who read these books and now she has discovered she really does enjoy reading and now is an avid reader!!

I have read the books and the series reveals a good story. Though her writing style is not up to par according to many, her readers are not looking for that but what will happen to the characters. I did notice her use of other literary works such as Romeo and Juliet and

Wuthering Heights, within the series. I think this was creative to tie these works into her story.


This is a list of my favorite novels of the undead, and if you have read one that I have not mentioned, please, tell me! And if I have mentioned one that has perked your interest

and you would like more information, tell me!













No comments:

Post a Comment